Remember the The Mee Maw Principle
In today’s competitive business landscape, it’s more important than ever to have a thriving culture of trust and respect in the workplace. It’s how you differentiate yourself in a crowded market. When employees feel trusted and respected, they are more likely to be engaged, productive, and loyal to their company. They are also more likely to go above and beyond for their customers.
“My employees are happy… I think.”
Don’t let this be you. Creating a thriving culture of trust and respect in the workplace is not always easy, but to ensure you’re on the right path, here are a few tips:
- The Mee Maw Principle. Years ago I began teaching business leaders the concept of treating their employees the way you would like someone to treat your grandmother (Mee Maw). How would you like your sweet granny’s boss to give her direction or provide feedback if she made a mistake. If we make it a practice to communicate to our team the way we would someone to communicate to your sweet granny, respect will be achieved everytime.
- Set clear expectations. Employees need to know what is expected of them in terms of their work, behavior, and communication. This will help to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts.
- Be transparent. Employees need to feel like they can trust their leaders to be honest and transparent with them. This means sharing information about the company’s finances, performance, and plans for the future. It also means being open and honest about mistakes and challenges. However, make sure you’re only sharing information you are able to share – avoiding a breach of trust and a potential HR nightmare.
- Follow through on commitments. When you say you’re going to do something, do it. This is one of the most important ways to build trust with your employees. If you break your promises, they will quickly learn that they can’t rely on you.
- Be fair and equitable. Employees need to feel like they are being treated fairly and equitably. This means paying them a fair wage, providing them with equal opportunities for advancement, and correcting undesireable behavior and performance equitably for all employees regardless of who they are..
- Listen to and respect your employees. One of the best ways to show your employees that you trust and respect them is to listen to what they have to say. Ask for their input on decisions that affect them, and take their suggestions seriously.
- Celebrate success. When your employees do a good job, make sure to celebrate their success. This will show them that you appreciate their hard work and that you’re proud of them. Taking an extra two minutes on meetings to call out wins is nothing, but will go far with your employees.
- Create a positive work environment. A positive work environment is one where employees feel comfortable and respected. This means creating a space where they can be themselves, be creative, and take risks. Tell them about your hobbies, discuss what important to the team outside of work, !
Creating a thriving culture of trust and respect in the workplace takes time and effort, but it’s worth it. When you have a workforce that feels trusted and respected, you’ll see a positive impact on your bottom line.
Here are several added advantages that arise from fostering a vibrant culture of trust and respect within the workplace:
- Increased employee engagement. Employees who feel trusted and respected are more likely to be engaged in their work. They are more likely to be motivated, productive, and creative.
- Improved customer service. Employees who feel trusted and respected are more likely to provide excellent customer service. They are more likely to be empathetic, understanding, and helpful.
- Reduced turnover. Employees who feel trusted and respected are less likely to leave their jobs. They are more likely to stay with their company for the long term.
- Increased innovation. Employees who feel trusted and respected are more likely to be innovative. They are more likely to come up with new ideas and solutions to problems.
If you’re looking to create a thriving culture of trust and respect in your workplace, start by following these tips. With a little effort, you can create a workplace where employees feel valued, respected, and motivated.
At Auditocity, we understand the importance of a strong workplace culture. That’s why we offer a variety of resources to help businesses create and maintain a thriving culture of trust and respect. Our resources include:
- A culture assessment tool that helps businesses identify areas where their culture can be improved.
- A library of best practices on workplace culture.
- Training and coaching programs on how to create and maintain a positive work environment.
Embark on a transformative journey towards a thriving culture of trust and respect in your workplace with Auditocity. Begin your free trial now to discover the invaluable support we offer.